Thursday 24 May 2012

an other garden no.35: the pink house, private residence, renmore



Stories and Histories

Number fifty nine was built in the 1950's by an architect and its current inhabitants have lived there since the 1960's. Shortly after I first moved to Galway I lived on this street and fell in love with the pink house. The whole street in fact is still one of my favourite streets in the city as most of the houses on it were built individually and date from various decades in the past century. On one street you can see examples of architecture popular to different periods of time in our more recent history( it also has lots of mature trees and quirky porches that are always lit at night). I realised a few years ago that the element I most look for in an architectural style when it comes to domestic dwelling is the suggestion that a witch would not seem out of place there( of course in this case she would be of the more benevolent type but no less mysterious for it). I like a building to inspire conspiracy theories and hint at long buried family secrets. I like a building to capture my imagination.

No comments:

Post a Comment